Saturday, August 4, 2007

Almost Home!

Hey Guys. I'm sorry my updates have been rather few and far between. However, I am alive and well. These last few weeks have been a real blessing for me. Last Monday I was able to go to Tchincombe Farm- it's about 250 km from Lubango. I drove down with 4 Angolans for a vaccination trip from Rio Da Huila. It was wonderful to be able to spend some time in a real Angolan setting. We had real Angolan food for one meal I helped butcher a chicken, watched the women make pirao, did dishes with them. The road to the farm is full of holes it took us about 6 1/2 hours to drive. We stopped at many little villages on the way and greeted people as we went. There was some Portugeuse spoken but more so olumhuila and mgumbwe- so I didn't understand a lot of what was being said but the Angolans were very understanding.
I did all of the prenatal visits with one of the Angolan ladies- Domgingues- as my translator. It was a little unnerving being the one considered the expert. I have done many prenatal clinics with the midwife from CEML but I had never done them without her present. God was with me and as far as I could tell the women seemed to be fine. 19 women came to the clinic- I measured their bellies, took their blood pressure, weighed them and they received iron and folic acid. All women over 5 months got Malaria medication and all women got 2 anti-tetanus shots. Most of these women will deliver in their homes.
The prenatal clinics have been one of my highlights during my time in Angola. As I have said many good-byes already, the Angolans all reply with send greetings to your family, friends and your church. So considered yourself greeted by the staff from CEML, Rio da Huila and the church at nGunga.
I will be flying out of Angola- Sun. Aug. 5 and I will arrive home in Saskatchewan on Wed. Aug. 8. Please pray for safety as well as opportunities to share the love of God on my travels home.

No comments:

Pre-natal Clinic at Rio da Huila

Pre-natal Clinic at Rio da Huila
This is me and my chara (person with the same name as me). She is a nursing student in Lubango and spent her holidays at the clinic getting some hands on experience. I was able to teach her how to measure bellies and find heart rates. It was really exciting to see her face light up as she felt the baby.

Pre-natal Clinic at Rio da Huila

Pre-natal Clinic at Rio da Huila
This is a traditional olumhuila lady. Her many beads are a sign of her wealth and status within her village.

My friend Fernando

My friend Fernando