Thursday, May 3, 2007

I'm almost oriented!

Well I suppose I should be oriented because orientation is almost over. This week has been a huge blessing. There are 7 other girls here who are all heading out on short-term missions trips to the ends of the earth. Tonight we had a prayer meeting with retired missionaries, current missionaries, and short-term missionaries. It was great to be able to share with these missionaries, to be prayed for and to hear some of their stories. Some of these people in the SIM office remember my mom as Dorothy Dyck, from ages ago!
I have good news. One of the girls from orientation, Danielle, will be flying with me from Toronto on Monday until London. We will have a lay over together in London, England. It's wonderful that God has provided somebody to travel with for the first part of my journey.
Today we were able to go to a mosque in Toronto. We were able to hear about Islam and observe their prayer time. It was very hard to see how lost these people are. Please pray for these muslim people, as God loves them very much! Yesterday we went out for Ethiopian food- it was great! The main food in Ethiopia is Injera, which is bread/pancake type of food that is used as a spoon to scoop up different kinds of stew type dishes. It was very good; I would definitely recommend it to anyone!
Through this week we have had lots of time to pray together as a group and share our burdens and joys with one another. Please continue to pray for me: that I would be flexible and that I would remember as much Portugeuse as I can! Love you all!

2 comments:

Verna said...

Hi Rebecca,
Katie had a soccer game tonight and they won! She was also practising The Entertainer tonight. Its good to hear that orientation went well. God bless!
Verna

Carolyn said...

Hi Rebecca, its always nice to have a friend to travel with! I am looking forward to hearing stories of your experience in Angola! You will have to tell me more about the Muslim mosque.
Carolyn

Pre-natal Clinic at Rio da Huila

Pre-natal Clinic at Rio da Huila
This is me and my chara (person with the same name as me). She is a nursing student in Lubango and spent her holidays at the clinic getting some hands on experience. I was able to teach her how to measure bellies and find heart rates. It was really exciting to see her face light up as she felt the baby.

Pre-natal Clinic at Rio da Huila

Pre-natal Clinic at Rio da Huila
This is a traditional olumhuila lady. Her many beads are a sign of her wealth and status within her village.

My friend Fernando

My friend Fernando