Saturday, May 12, 2007

I'm Here

Hello, Hello,
I have arrived in Lubango, Angola and I am doing well. I am still healthy- praise the Lord! I have met many missionaries and spent a day at the hospital. I am living at the guest house with Stacy- a 4th year medical student from Arkansas. Our flat is quite nice- kitchen, living room, dining room, 3 bedrooms. Electricity works either when the city power is one or when we turn on the generator. The guest house is only about three blocks from Dr. Stephen and Peggy Fosters home. Becky Loewen- long term missionary- picked me up from the airport; we dropped off my stuff and picked up Stacy for a grocery shopping excursion. Money here in Angola is very different than in Canada- they use the kwanza but eggs are like 25 K each, bananas 3 for 50 K. 1 USD is equal to 75 K- the value of the K is going up because there will be an election in the next couple of years. Dry goods we bought at the store and fruits and vegetables we bought off the street. When we bought food off the street Becky bartered for us.
The last couple of nights we’ve had electricity from 6:00 pm until midnight and this morning we had also had electricity. We have a hot water heater that has the potential to work- sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn’t.
Yesterday I walked in between operating rooms and observed the happenings here at the Lubango Evangelical Medical Centre. There were people waiting all day. There were line ups when we arrived in the morning and when we closed down in the evening. Some people travel a long way to get medical care here; one boy that was operated on was from Luanda, the capital city in Northern Angola.
I’ve begun reading through Matthew and in Mt. 5 the first beatitude says: Blessed are those who know of their need for God. Since leaving Saskatchewan I have definitely come to know more of my need for God. His faithfulness is evident though through His work in my life. All of my luggage arrived in Angola with me- I was shocked and thankful- 4 flights and 3 airlines and it still got here! I didn’t have too much trouble with airport security in any location and I had no trouble recognizing Becky in Lubango. Thank-you for all of your prayers! God bless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, I am very sorry i missed you here in Toronto. I look forward to reading your comments and hearing all about your adventures on your return.
Shelley Schulkowsky-(Shuper)

Pre-natal Clinic at Rio da Huila

Pre-natal Clinic at Rio da Huila
This is me and my chara (person with the same name as me). She is a nursing student in Lubango and spent her holidays at the clinic getting some hands on experience. I was able to teach her how to measure bellies and find heart rates. It was really exciting to see her face light up as she felt the baby.

Pre-natal Clinic at Rio da Huila

Pre-natal Clinic at Rio da Huila
This is a traditional olumhuila lady. Her many beads are a sign of her wealth and status within her village.

My friend Fernando

My friend Fernando