Saturday, June 23, 2007

Life in Angola

Life here in Angola is going well. I am enjoying my experience at the hospital and teaching English. When I left Canada I was planning on working at the hospital for a while and teaching English later. Well no surprise my plans didn't quite work out like that. I am continuing to help at the hospital when I am not teaching English. So, I started teaching English 3 weeks ago or so. I help teach 2 classes each day from Monday to Friday. These classes were both started by Peter and I am now helping him with class. There are challenges with teaching English, for example somedays nobody shows up or they arrive 10 min. before class is over. But when the students, who are staff from the hospital, come we have a lot of fun together. Next week is the SIM conference- Esther, another Short-termer, and I have been doing some practicing for the music. For the past two weeks I have gone out to Rio da Huila with Peter and Shelly on Thursdays. Here we do an obstetric clinic- this week we had 32 or so ladies out from the villages. Most of these ladies don't speak Portugeuse but they do speak a tribal language, Mumhuila (which we don't speak very well so we use a translator). Each lady is weighed, blood pressure is taken, their belly's are measured and we listen to the fetal heart rate. This last week lots of the ladies were quite far advanced- mostly between 7-9 months.
One exciting thing is that we have electricity most of the time right now. Before we had power for 6 hours and no power for 12 hours but now we have power almost all of the time! So hot showers are more abudant now.
Congratulations to Tim and Erica on their wedding! I hope you had a wonderful day and you continue to see the Lord's blessing in your lives!

No comments:

Pre-natal Clinic at Rio da Huila

Pre-natal Clinic at Rio da Huila
This is me and my chara (person with the same name as me). She is a nursing student in Lubango and spent her holidays at the clinic getting some hands on experience. I was able to teach her how to measure bellies and find heart rates. It was really exciting to see her face light up as she felt the baby.

Pre-natal Clinic at Rio da Huila

Pre-natal Clinic at Rio da Huila
This is a traditional olumhuila lady. Her many beads are a sign of her wealth and status within her village.

My friend Fernando

My friend Fernando